Monday, 25 August 2014

Autumn Butterfly

This is my second design for the Chocolate Baroque Challenge using their chosen colour swatch.  I decided to do a multi media canvass as I really enjoy creating artwork using various techniques, and canvass gives the work a great texture.  I used stamps from the Thistle Butterfly set by Chocolate Baroque, an oriental leaf embossing folder, some foliage dies and assorted Crealies floral dies.  I used several colours of acrylic paints:- Titanium White, Cerulean Blue Hue, Yellow Ochre, Brilliant Red, Burnt Sienna, white Gesso.  I also used several inks:- Stonewashed Adirondak, Versafine Vintage Sepia, Crafters Pigment ink Smoke Blue, Brilliance inks Pearlescent Beige and Rust.  I painted a couple of coats of white Gesso on to the canvass as a base.  Then I mixed some acrylic paint to make the two colours used as a base on the canvass.  Next I stamped the butterfly image from the set using Titanium White acrylic paint randomly over the canvass.  I then stamped the large  thistle and butterfly image on to white tissue paper in Stonewashed ink.  I tore a piece off and stuck it on to one side of the canvass with multi media gloss paste.  When dry the tissue turns opaque and the white butterfly underneath shows through.  I also covered the whole artwork with the paste to seal it and give it a sheen.  I then mixed some acrylic paint with clear texture paste and spread it on to the canvass through a stencil, TCW Mini Punchinella, in several places.  I used the honeycomb pattern in keeping with the natural, organic theme of the artwork.  I then edged the canvass with Vintage Sepia ink.  Next I stamped the butterfly image on to acetate in Smoke Blue pigment ink and heat embossed it with clear powder.  I then cut it out and added glitters on to the reverse side.  I attached it over one of the white butterflies using dimensional glue.  I coloured a piece of white card using Radiant Rains,  Ginger Peach and Sunburst, and Metallic Bronze Lumiere paint.  I sponged the colours on to the card to blend them.  I then cut leaves out of the card with dies, and edged them with Pearlescent Rust ink.  I cut various flower shapes out of two tones of blue card with dies, then stamped them with the butterfly image and a small leaf image using Moonlight White and Pearlescent Beige inks to add patterns to the petals. I used five petal shapes of different sizes to make a large layered flower and added glitter to the centre.  I attached a couple of skeleton leaves to the artwork and added the flower with dimensional glue.  I attached a couple of the die cut leaves and small flowers then mounted the canvass on to a piece of embossed white card that had been edged with blue ink.      


  1. Love what you have done with this,just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us at Chocolate

  2. Fabulous project. So creative. Love all the texture and elements. Inspiring. Thank you for playing along with the Chocolate Baroque Color Challenge.
    Hugs, Flo xx

  3. Wow another beauty again, I love your use of textures and die cuts. Thanks for your 2nd entry into this months challenge at Chocolate Baroque. Shirleyxx

  4. Just gorgeous, your post made fascinating reading, and the textures are just brilliant on your canvas. You look like you had great fun creating this, exactly what crafting is all about. Thanks for entering this lovely piece of artwork into the Chocolate Baroque challenge, Judith xx