Labels

Saturday, 23 April 2016

Like a Punky Moth to a Flame












This is a lovely little canvass I've made for the Chocolate Baroque colour challenge #22  http://chocolatebaroquechallenge.blogspot.co.uk/.  I love these colours and at first I was tempted to go down the Autumn route, but I thought I'd do something different this time.  As you may have guessed I'm a Steampunk fan and have quite a few stamps and dies in that genre.  For this artwork I have used stamps from the CB sets Punky Flowers and Steampunk Butterfly; various cog dies; DI's Twisted Citron, Fossilised Amber, and Rusty Hinge; acrylic paints in green, yellow ochre, lemon yellow; Dyna paint Iridescent gold; black Versafine ink; gilding waxes; sunburst stencil, Tando creative cogs stencil.  I started by giving the canvass a coat of white gesso, when dry I stamped the lamp flowers directly onto it in black ink and heat embossed with black powder.  I then painted the image with Pebeo Drawing Gum and let it dry, to mask the image.  I used the acrylic paints to create a background like glowing lamplight .  When that was dry I applied gold paint through the stencil, then when that was dry I added DI through the cog stencil.  I used a corner stamp at the top of the canvass and heat embossed as before.  I then stamped some cogs along the bottom and heat embossed them.  I painted them with  acrylics, mixing gold paint with a couple of the colours to create a metallic sheen on some of them.  While that was drying I took some white card, stamped the butterfly and heat embossed it as before.  I did the same with some flower images.  I then cut them all out and painted them with DI's, mixing some gold paint in as highlights.   I painted some more pieces of card with the DI's then die cut cogs in various sizes out of them.  I added gilding waxes to some of the cogs to give them a metallic look.   Next I rubbed off the drawing gum and painted the images with DI's, and added Glossy Accents to the lamps to make them look like bulbs.  I added the painted die cut cogs, flowers and butterfly with dimensional glue, and blended black DI around the edges of the canvass.  I'm really pleased with this artwork and I loved creating it.  I have doubled up on photos, with and without a flash, to emphasize the metallic sheen.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Penny, a fabulous steampunk creation, and super use of the challenge colours. You really look as though you enjoyed creating this one. Thanks for your entry into the Chocolate Baroque Challenge, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful canvas Penny, I love how you have captured the glow of the light, thanks for playing along with the Chocolate Baroque Challenge and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloomin' fantastic!!
    Hugs Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flo, thank you very much hun :) xxc

      Delete
  4. Stunning! Love the brightness and all the gears at the bottom with some pop of blueish green. You outdid yourself. The layout is also excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, thank you so much I'm glad you like it :) x

      Delete
  5. Love it, love it, love it!!!!! Fabulous canvas I love the steampunk images and the layout is brilliant, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thank you so much :) I had such fun creating this! xx

      Delete
  6. Wow beautiful stamping and I just love the zingy colours you've used - fabulous interpretation of this months colour palette!Thanks so much for joining us at Chocolate Baroque Challenge this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely canvas Penny. Great colouring, background and layout. A stunner. Good luck with the Challenge, Anne x

    ReplyDelete