Labels

Saturday 31 December 2016

The Inventor



Hi and welcome to my blog  :)  This is a canvass I created several months ago as one of my samples for Sheena Douglass, to launch her Time Traveller Perfect Partners collection.  I love Steampunk and mixed media so this project was right up my street!  I used stamps and dies from the collection; Pebeo Dyna paints; Pebeo Texture Pastes, gilding waxes; SN Aquablend Markers and various inks. 
    


I took a large stretched canvass and painted it with black Gesso.  I used the waste from die cutting the cogs for later use as a stencil, and applied some black texture paste.    



While that was drying I stamped the Steampunk Gentleman onto white card in grey Versafine ink, it looked more like a sketch in grey.  I coloured it with Aquablend Markers.  Then I embossed a piece of black card in a frame folder and used gilding waxes to make it look like a vintage metal photo frame.  I added acetate as glass and glued them all together.




I die cut lots of cogs, pipes and clocks.  I cut them from black card and Kraft card, then coloured them with gilding waxes for a metallic finish.  I then stamped all the die cuts with black Stazon.



I die cut a balloon ship from Kraft card and coloured it with Aquablend markers and Dyna paints, then stamped over it in grey Versafine ink.  



Back to the canvass.  I sponged Dyna acrylic paints all over it to highlight the textures of the paste cogs and the canvass itself.  These paints look amazing on a black background. 



I dribbled copper paint from the top of the canvass and let it run freely, to add more texture and a distressed look.  I like to create layers of background, especially on mixed media pieces.  



Now that I was happy with the background I started adding the embellishments and focal pieces.  I placed all the die cuts  where I wanted them on the canvass and attached them with dimensional glue.  I even used the waste circles from die cutting the cogs as screws and rivets.  









I really loved making this piece, using two of my favourites - Steampunk and Mixed Media  :)  Thanks for popping by today, I hope to see you here again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Ok...wowzers! This is an amazing piece of art in my humble opinion. I love it and all the work that went into it. I love the frame and all the gears...it's just perfectly placed. Great work to end the year with. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, Happy New Year! Thank you so much for your lovely comment, crafty hugs xx

      Delete